The Sharknado movie series is one among the genre that combines the imagery of natural disasters with the thrill of escapades and survival. However, Sharknado stands out as a unique entity in the genre because it has almost all the entertainment elements, such as comedy, drama, action, science fiction, and a tinge of horror. This article takes you back to look back at how many Sharknado movies are there and where did it all begin.
Sharknado was a tv phenomenon that hit screens like a tornado in 2013. When a cult audience flocked to see this disaster film featuring a shark-infested cyclone, the filmmakers topped it with sequels to keep the franchise going.
The Sharknado series is available on Prime Video. You can watch it there or stream it on your Roku device with a premium VPN. VPNs like ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN make your streaming experience safe, private, and smooth. Now, let’s get a brief insight into how many Sharknado movies are there and what each movie offers its viewers.
How VPN improves movie experience
Using a VPN improves your movie experience in many ways:
- A VPN with an extensive server network like NordVPN lets you connect to one of their fast servers worldwide to give you lightning-fast speed to download and stream content.
- A reliable VPN like ExpressVPN has top-notch security and privacy features that empower you to stream and download the content you want to watch with anonymity.
- VPNs mask your IP address with another one by connecting you to a server in a different location. This way, you can unblock even the restricted content in your area by clicking on a server based in the permitted country. And you don’t have to spend much with affordable VPN services like Surfshark in the market.
Number of Sharknados Movies
The film Sharknado swam its way into theatres and onto television screens in 2013. Penned by Thunder Levin, produced by David Michael Latt, and directed by Anthony C. Ferrante for Syfy, Sharknado soon became a franchise. Mainstays Ian Ziering and Tara Reid play Finley “Fin” Shepard and April “Apr” Wexler, respectively. Although the first film did not do particularly well at the box office, it became an “instant cult classic” and has since spawned three more “over-the-top” sequels.
There are six Shakando movies between 2013 and 2018.
Sharknado – 2013
- In the first Sharknado installment, man-eating sharks are sucked out of the water by a waterspout caused by “Hurricane David.” Consequently, the floodwaters in Los Angeles are overrun by predatory fish. Fin, a surfer and bar owner, takes on more than he can handle when he and his friends set out to track down his wife, April, and their daughter. Fin and his team are now responsible for rescuing the people and the Santa Monica coastline.
- Unpredictably, the film gained a cult following and eventually spawned a sequel trilogy called Sharknado. The reviews are lukewarm at best, with the few positive ones being humorously sarcastic. Though it may not be the best of the Sharknado movies, it is the one that started it all.
Sharknado 2: The Second One – 2014
- Fin and April’s flight to New York City to promote April’s new book, How to Survive a Sharknado and Other Unusual Disasters, is interrupted when sharks attack their plane in the sky. All the people on board are tragically killed when one of the plane’s engines fails due to an unusual weather pattern. As a result, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Citi Field, among the city’s most beloved and recognizable landmarks, are in jeopardy. Now Fin and April.
- Those who enjoyed the first Sharknado film were thrilled to learn that a sequel was in the works. As for the movie itself, critics agreed that it wasn’t as entertaining as the first one but was still fun to watch and had the highest debut of any Syfy film. The second Sharknado film is nonetheless a sequel to a classic.
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No! – 2015
- In the second film, sharknados strike the United States East Coast while Fin receives a medal of honor from the president for his bravery in the past movies. The world and Fin’s family depend on Fin risking his life wielding the chainsaw again. However, as he battles his way southward, the sharknados merge into a much more formidable foe.
- By this point, the fans knew exactly what to expect. So, while the film is enjoyable in parts, the plotline and lackluster special effects somewhat disappoint the audience.
Sharknado: The 4th Awakens – 2016
- The fourth installment was quickly announced after Sharknados 3 premiere. The third installment was concluded on a cliffhanger, not confirming whether April survived. The franchise also began a voting campaign on Twitter, coaxing the audience to give their opinion with the hashtags “#AprilLives” or “#AprilDies.”
- So, the fourth movie starts, showing five years since the events of Sharknado 3. Fin and his family have enjoyed a period free from sharknados. However, in recent times, sharknados have occurred in previously unanticipated settings. With improbable occurrences like a bionic woman and bouldernado, this film stands out as the most comic-like in the series.
- In contrast to the previous Sharknado films, the fourth installment is more of a comedy than a horror film. Because of this quality, it can better keep its observers on its toes.
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming – 2017
- Thankfully, this fifth installment is better than the previous one, though that’s not saying much. After a brief lull in the action, a group of sharknado researchers unintentionally sets off a spate of fiercer and larger-than-ever sharknados. Only Fin and April are capable of saving the world, so they must use portals atop the tornadoes to visit far-flung places like Giza, Sydney, and Rio de Janeiro.
- The plot is still outlandish, but the show has been revived to the point where it’s at least entertaining again.
The Last Sharknado: It’s About Time – 2018
The title does justice to the series timeline because the franchise decided to conclude the saga at a perfect time. Since this is the last movie in the franchise, everything is on the line. After the events of the fifth movie, Earth is destroyed, and Fin and his son must go back in time to the Cretaceous period to stop the first sharknado, putting an end to the phenomenon for good. The general opinion is that the film lacks the charm of its predecessors and isn’t bad enough to be good.
Sharknado director Anthony C. Ferrante has stated that there will be no more installments in the series because the story they wanted to tell is complete. However, if you want to watch the series from the beginning, you may watch it on prime video. We recommend you download a premium VPN service like ExpressVPN, Surfshark, or NordVPN to enjoy the special effects of this science-fiction thrill.